You will need :
- Shop bought pre-rolled puff pastry
- Shop bought chipolata sausages (or just standard uncooked sausages – meat of your choice)
- Baking tin/sheet
- Some tin foil / baking paper
- A sharp knife
Step 1 : Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
Step 2 : unroll the puff pastry to the desired quantity – I don’t always need a full roll depending on how many sausage rolls I want to makeStep 3 : Place lengths of sausage onto the pastry leaving enough space between each line that allows you to roll a layer of pastry over each sausage.
Step 6: Complete the roll and cut into sections dabbing a bit of milk on the top of each little roll to give it a nice brown finish. If you use beaten egg it will be a bit glossier.
Step 7: Pop them into the oven for about 20 mins
Step 8 : Take them out the oven and allow to cool a bit. The pastry should have puffed out and be lovely and crispy to the touch. Test 1 by cutting in half and ensuring it is piping hot all the way through and there is no pink to the sausage.
Step 8 : Serve with fruit, vegetables or just on their own
Hints and tips :
- You can make your own puff pastry, or the shop bought cheat version
- You don’t have to use pork sausages – lamb, beef or chicken will also make for tasty treats. I would however discourage viennas but by all means- try them if you like.
- Beaten egg would provide a nicer finish – but if you, like me, didn’t have any eggs to hand – milk does just about the same job without the sheen.
- Don’t forget to turn the oven off and check that the sausage rolls are not too hot for the kids when serving!